The Electoral Commission has met with the Inter-Party Advisory Committee (IPAC) on a discussion to brief Political Parties on matters relating to the Replacement of the Voters Register.
The Commission announced to the various political parties of the postponement of the Voters Registration Excercise, it added that a new date will be communicated as soon as the coronavirus pandemic is managed under control.
According to the Electoral Commission, the Registration Exercise which was scheduled for 18th April 2020 has been called off.
Other issues discussed included the following:
– Preparations towards the Registration Exercise which is currently at the recruitment stage.
– The call on Political Parties to play their roles effectively to make the exercise successful.
– An appeal by the Electoral Commission to Political Parties to desist from encouraging unqualified persons to register as voters when the exercise begins
– The use of the Cluster System for the Registration of Voters.
– The use of intensive publicity and public education before and during the Registration Exercise.
– Collaboration with the Ghana Health Service and the Ministry of Health for best practices to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The Commission wishes to assure the general public of its continuous commitment to the delivery of free, far and credible Elections on December 2029.